Hello, Kyra here!
Today I’d like to share some random thoughts about this blog, its future and a summarized list of all [Onamae wa?] posts so far, separated by Season. Think of it as a band-aid until upcoming changes to this website. YAY CHANGES WOOO!
Last week we hit 61 [Onamae wa?] posts, covering dozens of shows from the last five seasons. There were also two guest posts and some others that didn’t fit the regular [Onamae wa?] series, which, coupled with my not so well formatted blog, turned out into something that could be easily described as a fine mess. While I plan to release an updated version of this site by Fall 2017 (or Winter 2017/2018), it came to me that I should at least do something to help people browse the already available material.
Thinking now, maybe we have new readers around so it might be useful to also briefly talk about what is the purpose of this blog. Here I do weekly posts exploring the name of characters chosen from the current airing shows, hoping to trace links to their personality and background. While there are some names that are clearly tailored to match its character, this is not always the case and I shall be the first to admit that many times I have let my imagination go all out in order to draw some ridiculous connections. Think of it as part of the fun: I’m not really trying to prove anything here, nor claiming that whatever I point out here was the author’s original intention. Every now and then we also get to explore some unique expressions, as well as interesting trivia both from Anime and Japanese Language in general.
About the site update, my current main thoughts revolve around making it more user friendly, especially concerning a more robust search method. There is a chance I might also start making posts available in other languages, but don’t quote me on this yet.
Without further ado, let’s head into the MASTER LIST!
[Onamae wa?] Spring 2016
Spring 2016 was marked by my most accessed post so far, [Onamae wa #6] on Deku from Boku no Hero Academia, while my favorite post was [Onamae wa #5] covering Machi and Natsu from Kumamiko. You will also notice how earlier posts were very badly formatted or not formatted at all, especially when compared to most recent ones. I’ll probably patch these up along the aforementioned updates.
- Katsuhira Agata from Kiznaiver
- Akeno Misaki from High School Fleet
- Makoto Kowata from Flying Witch
- Subaru Natsuki from Re:Zero
- Machi Amayadori and Natsu Kunai from Kumamiko
- Izuku Midoriya from Boku no Hero Academia
- Futaba, Youko and Teru from Sansha Sanyou
- Saya Sasamiya and Kirin Toudou from Asterisk War
- Kennosuke Tokisada Ouma from Kuromukuro
- Mitsumune Sakai from Mayoiga
- Mikumo Guynemer from Macross Delta
- Tanaka (and most of the cast) from Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
- Spring 2016 Wrapping up with mixed characters:
- Colonel Yuuki from Joker Game
- Ren Ekoda from Anne Happy
- Osamu Dazai from Bungou Stray Dogs
[Onamae wa?] Summer 2016
Summer 2016 had me yelling “oh my god!” twice. First when noticing some possible hidden meanings on the title of Amaama to Inazuma on [Onamae wa #16], secondly upon the overwhelming name of Canaria Utara from Qualidea Code on [Onamae wa #18].
- Hikari Kohinata and Futaba Ooki from Amanchu!
- Kakeru Naruse from Orange
- Kouhei, Tsumugi and Kotori from Amaama to Inazuma
- Aoba Suzukaze from New Game!
- Canaria Utara from Qualidea Code
- Mizuki Usami from Kono Bijutsukan ni wa Mondai ga Aru
- Akira Hayama and Ryou Kurokiba from Shokugeki no Souma
- Yuki Kurihara and Shinya Momotsuki from Momokuri
- Ruby, Hanamaru and Yoshiko from Love Live! Sunshine
- Riko, Chika and You from Love Live! Sunshine
- Kanan, Dia and Mari from Love Live! Sunshine
- Summer 2016 Wrapping up with Umiko Ahagon from New Game!
[Onamae wa?] Fall 2016
Hard to pick a favorite here. Fune wo Amu was a marvelous experience for a linguist enthusiast like myself and researching the word 向屋場on [Onamae wa #32] provided a lot of “I’m really thankful for having started this blog!” moments. All three Euphonium posts were a blast to research and write, including the details about that board on [Onamae wa #37]. Lastly, tying up Rei-chan’s name to his personality and background on [Onamae wa #38] was a really beautiful experience.
- Nozomi Kaminashi from Keijo!!!!!!!!
- Chitose Karasuma from Girlish Number
- Koyuki Himekawa from Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
- Ryouka Narusawa from Occultic;Nine
- Koyori Tsumujikaze from Shakunetsu Takkyu Musume
- Kayo Fujikawa from Stella no Mahou
- Micchan and Kaguya from Fune wo Amu
- Izumi Shimomura from Ajin
- Reoko Banryuu from Bubuki Buranki
- Asuka Tanaka from Hibike! Euphonium
- Kumiko Oumae from Hibike! Euphonium
- Reina Kousaka from Hibike! Euphonium
- Rei Kiriyama from Sangatsu no Lion
[Onamae wa?] Winter 2017
Once again hard to pick a single favorite one. Right off the bat, Fuuka on [Onamae wa #39] was incredible but because it reminds me of how the killed the show (GOT IT? GOT IT?), I can’t really bring myself to choose it. The various expressions from Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon explored on [Onamae wa #44] were really interesting, as was trying to dissect each of the bacteria names from Ryuu no Haisha on [Onamae wa #45]. And then we have all three posts on Rakugo Shinjuu… yeah, impossible to pick a favorite.
- Fuuka Akitsuki from Fuuka
- Hikari Takanashi from Demichan wa Kataritai
- Hanabi Yasuraoka from Kuzu no Honkai
- Atsuko Kagari from Little Witch Academia
- Akane Minagawa from Kuzu no Honkai
- Kobayashi from Kobayashi-san Chi no Maidragon
- Nonoko Kishii from Ryuu no Haisha
- Sukeroku Yuurakutei from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
- Yakumo Yuurakutei from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
- Yuki Kusakabe from Demi-chan wa Kataritai
- Jugemu Jugemu Gok… from Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
[Onamae wa?] Spring 2017
Spring 2017 saw yet another bump to Deku’s post from Spring 2016 and Todoroki’s name on [Onamae wa #57] was really cool. Or really hot? I’m not sure on this. That being said, all four posts on the main characters of Saekano were delicious to write, all theirs names overflowing with interesting and clearly intended links to each character personality and background.
- Ochako Uraraka from Boku no Hero Academia
- Benten from Uchouten Kazoku
- Sana from Alice to Zouroku
- Hinako Sakuragi from Hinako Note
- Yoshino Koharu from Sakura Quest
- Some supporting characters from Boku no Hero Academia
- Shouya Ishida from Koe no Katachi
- Shouto Todoroki from Boku no Hero Academia
- Tomoya Aki from Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
- Kasumigaoka Utaha from Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
- Eriri Spencer Sawamura from Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
- Megumi Katou from Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
Back on Spring 2016 I thought it would be cool to accept requests for specific posts. While I loved to write these two, it turned out to be really demanding timewise, so much that I had to give up on the idea, at least for now.
I was really startled when I first received Coutinho’s message about writing a guest post. Both characters were really well explored with a very consistent research to back it up, especially considering how much he loves the Danganronpa series. While I’m deeply thankful for these two, I’m not sure about guests posts in the future. Who knows?
- Junko Enoshima from Danganronpa, by Comun Coutinho
- Ryouta Mitarai from Danganronpa, by Comun Coutinho
Both posts on Comiket Report had massive views (at least when compared to the others. Sorry, my blog isn’t that popular!), but later on I regretted doing it, as it vastly deviated from the original concept of this site. After the renewal I’ll either remove these ones here or create a separated archive for them. That being said, I really recommend taking some time to read my roughly translation on that article from the IP! japanese magazine. Really interesting information if you ever wanted to know more about the Studios that produce Anime.
- Days 1 and 2 of Comiket 90 (Image heavy, slightly NSFW)
- Day 3 of Comiket 90 (Image heavy, slightly NSFW)
- Translation of a Japanese Article on the Current State of Anime Production Companies
Thanks for your time, hope you enjoyed your reading. If you have any suggestions or comments, please leave them below as I’m in the process of compiling ideas to make this a better site for everyone who has already joined me in our weekly Name exploration and also for those who may yet randomly run into this blog by any chance in the future. You can also find me on Twitter @kyradesuyo. See you all around!